The EU General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR) as well as the UK Data Protection Act 2018 (“Data Protection Laws”) give you various rights regarding the way in which we store and use your personal information. These are set out below in the section “What are your legal rights in relation to your personal information?” below. You can also get further information about data protection and privacy laws by visiting the Information Commissioner’s website at: https://ico.org.uk/.
- when you visit our website
- when you request information from us or provide information to us
- when we provide you with IT support and other professional services
- when you sign up for our newsletter or attend one of our webinars or events
- when you apply for a job with us
- when you agree to be included in our mailing lists to receive information and other marketing material, whether by email or other methods
2. What information do we collect about you, and how?
2.1 When you visit our website
When you visit our website we obtain personal information from your IP address and the operating system and web browser that you use. This enables us to compile statistical data on the use of our website which helps us to improve the user experience.
2.2 When you sign up for our newsletter, request information from us, or provide us with information
In our dealings with you, whether in person, by telephone, letter, email or webchat, you may directly provide us with various types of personal information, including your name and contact details such as your address, email address and telephone numbers. We may also collect personal information if we are communicating with you on social media sites such as Twitter or LinkedIn.
2.3 When we provide IT support and other professional services to you
When we provide you with IT support or other professional services, we will collect and store various types of personal information, including the types of information listed in the previous section, to enable us to provide you with those services.
2.4 When you interact with us
If you attend any of our webinars or events, we will collect various types of personal information that you provide to us, which may include your name and contact details and, in the case of events, dietary and access requirements.
2.5 When you apply for a job
If you apply for a job with us you may provide us with personal information, including special category personal information. Your application directly to us, or via a recruitment agency, will constitute your consent to our use of this information. We will use the information to consider your application for a job with us. We may also use the information to carry out checks to verify the information provided by you (including reference, background and criminal record checks). We may disclose the information to recruiters, referees and your current and previous employers. If your application for a specific job is unsuccessful then we may ask you for permission for us to keep your personal information so that we can contact you for any future vacancies that may be suitable.
2.6 When you agree to receive marketing information
If you agree to receive marketing information your contact details and other personal information may be stored in our customer relationship management (CRM) database. If you no longer wish to receive any marketing emails from us you can unsubscribe at any time by using the “Unsubscribe” button on the email footer or by contacting firstname.lastname@example.org.
3. How do we use your personal information?
3.1 We will only use your personal information in compliance with Data Protection Laws. Accordingly, we will therefore only process your personal information if:
- it is necessary for the performance of a contract with you
- it is necessary in connection with a legal obligation
- you have given your consent (where necessary) to such use
- if we or a third party have a legitimate interest that is not overridden by your interests or your rights and freedoms
3.2 We may use your personal information for the following purposes:
- to process and respond to your requests for information, or to enquiries or complaints received from you
- if you or your employer is a customer of ours, to respond to your requests for IT support or other professional services
- if you subscribe, to provide you with our newsletter and any other information that you may request
- if you have opted in to receive marketing communications from us, to send you information about our services, events and other marketing material
- if you are applying for a job, to screen you against other applicants, to contact you in connection with your application and, if you have given your permission for us to do so, to keep your personal information so that we can contact your for any future vacancies that may be suitable
4. For how long do we keep your personal information?
4.1 We will only retain your personal information for as long as is necessary for the purpose for which it was collected, including for the purposes of complying with any legal, accounting or insurance requirements. If you wish to know more about our retention periods, please contact email@example.com.
4.2 On the expiry of the applicable retention period, we will securely destroy your personal information in accordance with applicable law.
5. How and why do we share your personal information?
5.1 We use third parties who provide services on our behalf and will share your information with them, for example, technology suppliers may have access to your personal information when managing our newsletter and marketing lists (such as Mailchimp), arranging events (such as Eventbrite), providing video conferencing services (such as Zoom) or providing CRM tools (such as Hubspot).
5.2 Some of your personal information may be stored on cloud infrastructure managed by a third-party service provider.
5.3 If you have provided us with your consent to do so, we may share your personal information with Google, Amazon and other partners, who may email you with information about products and services that may be of interest to you and/or other marketing material.
5.4 In addition we may share your personal information with third parties where:
- you have consented to us doing so (where necessary)
- it is necessary for the purpose of, or in connection with, legal proceedings or in order to exercise or defend legal rights
- it is appropriate to disclose the information to parties with whom we have promotional arrangements (such as jointly hosted events).
5.5 Some of our suppliers and service providers may store or otherwise process personal information outside the UK or the European Economic Area. Where this is the case, we will ensure that your personal information will only be transferred either to countries that have been identified as providing adequate protection, or to a third party where there is a legal transfer mechanism in place to protect your personal information, for example where the supplier or service provider has entered into the European Commission’s Standard Contractual Clauses, or is Privacy Shield certified (for transfers to US-based third parties).
6. How do we keep your personal information secure?
6.1 We use up to date data storage services and security to hold your personal information securely in electronic and physical form to protect your personal information from unauthorised access, improper use or disclosure, unauthorised modification or unlawful destruction or accidental loss. Our premises are access controlled and our electronic databases require logins and password authentication. We use multi-factor authentication techniques where available. Please see our Security Policy for further information.
6.2 All our partners, staff and third-party service providers who have access to confidential information (including personal information) are subject to confidentiality obligations.
6.3 However, the transmission of information via the internet is not completely secure. Although we take appropriate and proportionate steps to manage the risks posed, we cannot guarantee the security of your information transmitted to our online services.
7. Third-party sites
7.1 Our website contains links to other sites which are controlled by third parties. You should review these other sites’ privacy policies. We do not accept any responsibility for their use of your personal information.
8. What are your legal rights in relation to your personal information?
8.1 You have the following data protection rights:
- You have the right at any time to withdraw your consent to our processing of your personal information.
- You have the right to be told what personal information we hold about you on our database and how we process that data.
- You have the right to request that we provide you with a copy (in a commonly used electronic format) of all the personal information that we hold about you. Unless you make repeated requests, we will not charge a fee for providing you with a copy of this data.
- You have the right to request that we correct any inaccurate or incomplete personal information that we hold about you.
- You have the right to request that we irretrievably delete all personal information that we hold about you (the so-called “right to be forgotten”). Note that there are limited circumstances in which we are legally entitled to refuse to comply with this request.
- You have the right to request that we transmit all the personal information that we hold about you (in a structured, commonly used and machine-readable form) to another organisation’s IT environment. Note that we are only legally obliged to comply with this request if it is technically feasible for us to do so.
- You have the right to complain to a data protection authority about our collection and use of your personal information. For more information, please contact the UK Information Commissioner’s Office at: https://ico.org.uk/concerns/.
8.2 If you wish to exercise any of the rights set out in paragraph 8.1 you can do so by sending us an email at firstname.lastname@example.org or by writing to us at Plaza Suite 9 Kd Towers, Cotterells, Hemel Hempstead, Hertfordshire, HP1 1FW.